Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Infamous Arugula Pasta

Posted by popular demand, I've decided it's time to share my all time favorite pasta dish.  My boyfriend will roll his eyes because I literally used to make this every week!  You're going to find out very quickly that I LOVE arugula.  I first discovered it in an Italian restaurant in DC about 3 years ago and it was listed as "rucola".  I'll never forget it, because it took me a good two months to figure out what it was!  For those of you that are unfamiliar with arugula, it is a green lettuce leaf that looks a little bit like a baby holly leaf and has a sensational peppery taste.  I love it so much I could just sit there and eat it raw!  So needless to say this will not be the first arugula recipe you see on my blog.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

2 Servings (plus a little extra for 1 for lunch)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

1/2 large onion, chopped (whatever type you like best or is on sale)
1 small crate button mushrooms, sliced (you can use any type, but these are cheapest and work great)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large handfuls baby arugula (found in salad area in plastic containers)
1 handful sliced grape tomatoes
1/2 box of pasta (I use fresh linguine when it's on sale, or otherwise a dry Barilla farfalle, penne, etc)
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
Grated parmesan
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Cooked sliced chicken breast (optional)

First off get your pot of water on the stove for the pasta so it can come to a boil while you're chopping vegetables.

In a large skillet, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.  Chop your onion, mushrooms (sliced), and garlic and add it to the skillet.  Season with salt and pepper to your liking.  Make sure your pan isn't too hot, you don't want to burn the garlic.  Cook for about 8 minutes until onions and mushrooms are soft.  Once cooked, lower heat to medium low.

Salt your boiling water so you can season your pasta (this should be in the middle of cooking vegetables).  It's a myth that putting oil in your water helps the pasta not stick.  Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente.

Once pasta is done, strain and put directly into skillet with the vegetables.  DO NOT RINSE PASTA WITH WATER.  This will wash all of the starch out of the pasta and you will lose all the flavor, etc.  Toss pasta with onions, etc and add more olive oil if you need a little more.  Next, throw in the 2 large handfuls of raw arugula and toss with the hot mixture.  It should cook a little bit just from the heat of the pasta. 

Serve on a plate and sprinkle with parmesan.  Add the raw sliced grape tomatoes on top. (I don't have the tomatoes in the picture because they were out at the store, but I typically use them).  Next, I always sprinkle a little red pepper flakes on top for a kick but that's up to you.  Then add the sliced chicken breast.  You don't have to have the chicken breast, I normally don't but my boyfriend was complaining of "needing" protein!  So it's up to you, it tastes great without it too.

And there you go!  My infamous arugula pasta.  This is the best meal for a weeknight because it's so quick and easy and reheats really well for the next day at lunch.  Bon appetit!!

1 comment:

  1. For any Brits reading this, arugula = rocket :)

    Recipe sounds yummy but simple, always a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete