Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sinful Dark Chocolate/Coffee BACON Cupcakes

I don't even know where to start with this recipe.  I'm sure a lot of you are questioning this whole combination, but I along with my entire team at work literally fell off our chairs when we took the first bite.  The taste of dark chocolate with a hint of coffee and then the surprise of the salty bacon at the end.  Not to mention one of the most moist cupcakes I've ever made before.  After taking a bite, your eyes literally automatically close and the savory sensation just makes your taste buds dance!

This truly is the perfect cupcake.

Makes 24 cupcakes

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes

*(10) slices of bacon (try to get thick cut)
*(2) cups flour
*3/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweet., I use Hershey's)
*(2) cups white sugar
*(2) teaspoons baking soda (make sure it's fresh!)
*(1) teaspoon baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon salt (sea salt if you have it)
*(2) eggs
*(1) cup cold brewed coffee (I used regular Starbucks)
*(1) cup buttermilk
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*Dark chocolate frosting (I used Duncan Hines, sorry I don't do frosting)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until brown and crispy.  Let dry on paper towels.  Then put bacon pieces in food processor and pulse until they are small bits.  If you don't have a food processor, chop bits the best you can with a knife.

In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients.  Flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Then add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, and vegetable oil.  Mix lightly for 1 minute.  You don't want to beat the hecht out of the batter, just get it mixed.  Fold in about 2/3 of the bacons bits.  The rest are to sprinkle the tops when done.

Fill individual cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes.  My oven is really hot (gas oven) so if your oven bakes slower you'll probably need 25 minutes.  When done, let them cool down.

Now you might think I'm crazy for the next step.  Leave the cupcakes overnight (covered).  I tried one right out of the oven and didn't really like it.  The next day the flavors had time to marinate and they were SO much more moist.

Frost cupcakes the next day and sprinkle with bacon bits.  Then prepare to surrender yourself to an absolutely heavenly experience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment