Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Couscous Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes

I'm sorry that I haven't posted a blog in a couple of weeks!  I've been reminded by a lot of you, and thanks for being loyal readers!

Even though I haven't been blogging, I have some great new recipes including this stuffed tomato.  This literally came together with what I had in my fridge and was one of the most flavorful things I've ever created.  To make things better it was very easy!  I served this along side my baked sea bass recipe as well if you're looking to have some sort of protein too.  Or a nice mixed salad if you're looking for something lighter.  Without further ado, here we go!

Servings: 2
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15 minutes

*2 Tablespoons olive oil
*1/2 yellow onion, chopped
*1 carton baby bella mushrooms, chopped (or about 2 large handfuls)
*2 garlic cloves, chopped
*1 cup cooked couscous (cook according to package)
*1 teaspoon salt
*1/2 teaspoon pepper
*2 large tomatoes
*2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
*1/2 cup italian breadcrumbs
*Grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Also, cook couscous at the same time according to package.  Typically for 1 cup it requires 1 1/4 cup of boiling water and to cook for about 10 minutes with lid on until done.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.  Then add mushrooms and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Lower heat to medium low.

Slice the top off of each tomato.  Scoop out the insides with a spoon so it leaves you with a little bowl.  Think of it like scraping out a pumpkin but gentler so you don't break the sides.

Once couscous is done cooking, add it into the skillet with the mushrooms and onions etc.  Then add balsamic vinegar and mix it in so everything is coated.  Taste it.  If you think it needs more balsamic, go ahead and add it.  Always taste your food as you go!

Fill the tomatoes with the mixture and put on a baking sheet.  (I line my sheet with foil for a faster clean up)  Mix the breadcrumbs with some grated parmesan and add it on top of tomato.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes and you're done!  Tasty tomatoes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment