Tuesday, March 6, 2012

BACON Brussel Sprouts

OK, so I will be the first to admit that I didn't "think" I liked brussel sprouts.  It's the one vegetable as a kid I never really tried and just assumed that they tasted awful.  Now, granted if they are not cooked properly they can be very bitter and a not very fun to eat.  I guarantee with this recipe I will change your mind.  I have made these more than a few times for dinners and anyone eating with me roll their eyes behind my back because they don't like brussel sprouts!  Please just give these a chance and I promise this will be your new favorite vegetable side dish!  They may be tiny little weird cabbages, but they turn into tiny little bites of heaven!

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

*3 slices thick bacon, chopped
*1 Tablespoon olive oil
*1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts, cut in half length wise
*1 small shallot, chopped
*2 cups chicken broth
*1 teaspoon salt
*1 teaspoon pepper

In a dutch oven or soup pot on medium high, brown bacon pieces until crispy.  About 3 minutes.  Take bacon bits out of pan and set aside on paper towel.  Add olive oil to the bacon fat on the bottom of pot and throw in the chopped shallot.  (VERY important to keep bacon fat in there as this is where most of the flavor comes from!)  Cook shallots for about 1-2 minutes.

Add in brussel sprouts to the pot and toss with the liquids.  Season with salt and pepper and let cook for 2 minutes.  Then add in 2 cups of chicken broth, cover and lower heat to medium low.  Let it simmer for 8-10 minutes until soft.



Top with the crispy bacons bits and serve!  Tiny little cabbages at their finest!

No comments:

Post a Comment