Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"Yugo" Salad

After a 6 month hiatus of traveling for work, I finally am able to dedicate more time to this blog! Even though my time has been consumed by work, I have some great recipes from the past months that I know you will love!  I also moved into a new studio apartment in the heart of San Francisco so my kitchen has downsized even more truly making it a "Lil' Midget Kitchen!"

To start out the New Year, I thought it would be good to post a nice and light recipe that can be used for dinner and lunches for the week.  This recipe comes from a friend and her family was Yugoslavian.  So they dubbed it "Yugo" salad.  Let's start out 2013 with a bang and stay tuned for  more delicious recipes that are guaranteed to make your mouth water!

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: None!

2 Cucumbers, chopped
1 Small carton grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 Red onion, diced
1 bell pepper, chopped (color of your choice)
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Italian dressing
Crumbled feta cheese

For the cucumbers, cut in half length wise.  Make sure you take a spoon and scoop out all the seeds.  The seeds have no flavor and will make your salad soggy.  Cut each half in half and then dice horizontally.  

Cut each grape tomato in half.  You can use any type of tomato, but I like these since they are sweet and easy to cut with no mess.  Dice the red onion, and chop small pieces of any color bell pepper.  I typically like to use orange or yellow for more color.  The above picture doesn't have peppers because produce was scarce that day.

Throw all the chopped ingredients in a bowl and add salt & pepper to taste.  Toss everything with your favorite Italian dressing.  I use Good Seasonings packets and make my own.  Top the salad with crumbled feta and you're done!  This salad goes great with grilled chicken or is a good substitution for fries with burgers.  Enjoy!

Side note:  If you want leftovers for lunches that week, put aside the vegetables before dressing them with Italian.  The dressing will make it soggy so just add it in on the day of.








No comments:

Post a Comment